Thursday, April 26, 2012

BBW Lip Jewels Liplicious Lip Gloss: Sparkling Soda

I've been reading up on the state of the lip gloss market and, if you're a lip gloss kind of person, you might be disappointed in what I've learned.  Despite the hundreds of different varieties you will find on sale at stores such as Bath and Body Works, the lip gloss market is actually not doing too well, especially when compared to the general lip stick market.  In fact, last month a WSJ article reported that the NPD Group, a market research firm, found "U.S. sales of lip color neared $290 million in 2011" [an increase of more than 13% from 2010], and "lip gloss sales declined by about 1% to about $182 million."  It is easy to assume that this is why BBW has attempted to keep their lip gloss lines fresh and new by frequently launching new variants, new colors, and new ranges.


I've done my part for the lip gloss market by purchasing three of BBW's Lip Jewels Liplicious Lip Glosses, but has BBW done its part by creating a product I want to wear and that I will buy again?  I'm not so sure they did that with Glittering Cola (reviewed in the last post).  Maybe they've managed it with Sparkling Soda?  Let's find out.


At first whiff Sparkling Soda is all sweet and delicious A&W Cream Soda.  It's like I'm sitting on the porch on a hot summer day being cooled by a long drink of cold soda.  Tasty.

Interestingly, once on the lips the same scent that presented itself in the Glittering Cola also shows itself in the Sparkling Soda - it is a very distinct scent of Trident Bubble Gum, not hubba bubba, not bazooka, but Trident.

Almost the reverse of the Glittering Cola, the in-use scent of Sparkling Soda that sits on your lips is that of Trident Bubble Gum mixed with bottle cap candy.  It is not a strong, cola flavored bottle cap scent like Glittering Cola, though, but more of a faint cream soda scent.  In contrast to Glittering Cola, there is no whiff of base; the scent does its job and covers it well.

Lip Jewels Liplicious Lip Gloss Sparkling Soda is a decent lip gloss with a decent scent, but I'm just not sure it is interesting enough to recommend buying ... Uh, oh!  I hope I haven't just contributed to the decline of the lip gloss market! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - leave a comment before you go!