Monday, July 11, 2011

Fall scents already? I haven't even perfected my tan yet!

The bright sunshine glistening on the newly cleaned pool was calling to me, but instead I climbed inside the excruciatingly hot car and headed over to the mall to buy a much belated birthday present.

Once there, I made my purchase and soon found myself deviating off track.  Instead of heading back into the heat, I was heading over to the Yankee Candle shop.  Before I knew it, I was asking the shop assistant if there was anything new in stock!

He directed me straight over to their new Fall fragrances - Kitchen Spice, Nature's Paintbrush, Over the River, Pumpkin Buttercream and Vanilla Satin.

I exclaimed, "Fall fragrances?!"  The shop assistant just smiled at my surprise and showed me one of the more popular of the five:  Kitchen Spice.
Unfortunately, it was not a new or exciting scent - mostly just clove, clove and more clove.  Very undistinctive from other Fall spicey scents, so let's move on.

Nature's Paintbrush was a bit more interesting-
It is warm, woody with definite musk tones, but also with a hint of dampness.  The combination of these notes are reminiscent of the smells found when walking along a path after a soft Autumn rain, playfully kicking up the moist, multicolored leaves along the way.  Yankee Candle has definitely embodied the outdoor scent of Fall in this fragrance.

Next up - Over the River
This was the shop assistants favorite, but that is unsurprising as he was male and this scent is very male fine fragrance-y.  I would say it was nearly a straight marine fragrance.  Sophisticated for a candle, but not too interesting beyond that.

The penultimate fragrance - Pumpkin Buttercream
I am a lover of gourmand fragrances and this scent definitely starts out well with creamy, cake-y undertones ... which lead into a punch in the face of cinnamon that just does not go away.  I cleared my nose more than once to attempt to get the yummy buttercream smell back, but the cinnamon was too overwhelming.  If you like Big Red, this one is for you!

Finally, last but not least, Vanilla Satin
FH_Vanilla_Satin 
(apologies, no photo was available of the product)

Vanilla and Sandalwood?  Not quite - try Linen!  Linen is one of the most popular fragrance concepts at the moment, and Americans love the vanilla scent.  Pairing these two hot ticket items together should make for a winning fragrance, but this was not the case.

Firstly, for Yankee Candle standards I did not find that the cold throw was very strong.  I had to re-smell the fragrance multiple times before I discovered that it was your run-of-the-mill linen scent.  If you like the common 'fresh linen scent' this one is for you, just don't expect to find a vanilla hook in there per the product name!

There you have it!  The five new fragrances from Yankee Candle for the Fall.  Nature's Paintbrush has intrigued my nose, but as for the rest ... maybe not this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - leave a comment before you go!